5. Midnight in Paris is funny, wistful and playful. It’s nothing out of the ordinary for Woody Allen but enjoyable nonetheless.
4. 13 Assassins – The epically long battle scene at the end should be more than enough for you to see this fantastic action film.
3. I Saw the Devil – This film is not for everyone but if you have a stomach for it will impress. An extremely violent revenge tale where the good guy is bad makes all other South Korean revenge films seem tame in comparison. Kim Jee-woon continues to make interesting genre films.
2. Certified Copy – The transformation of Juliette Binoche & William Shimell relationship is both odd and fascinating. Kiarostami layers this drama with intricacies that are discovered long after viewing.
1. Meek’s Cutoff – I love westerns. This revisionist western proves that the genre isn’t completely dead. The editing and photography are incredible
Honorable mentions: Poetry, Terri, Attack of the Block, Dogtooth, Drive, The Guard, Warrior